CMF renews Slate Development Pilot Program, adds drama to eligible genres
Toronto, September 27, 2023 – The Canada Media Fund (CMF) is reopening our Slate Development Pilot Program (SDPP) for the third year. Now with an increased budget of $4,875,000 ($825,000 more than last year), the program offers a more flexible approach to producers in the development of audiovisual projects by providing CMF funding for a slate of up to three projects, without the requirement of a Canadian broadcaster.
New this year
- Funding will now be allocated through a selective process
- Drama is now an eligible genre, provided that applicants satisfy specific eligibility criteria
- In previous years, the CMF notified production companies that they were eligible to receive a Slate Development Envelope (SDE); this year, production companies must apply for funding and submit documentation demonstrating that they meet the eligibility criteria for the program
- At least 25 per cent of the program’s budget is earmarked for applicants from Indigenous and Racialized Communities
- Timeline for project delivery has been extended from 18 to 24 months
Eligibility to the SDPP is partly determined by reported gross sales to the CMF for projects from 2018 to 2022, with the sales threshold to meet depending on the projects’ genre and language, and the production company’s ownership. Applicants must also have received a funding commitment from the CMF in the past five years (2018 to 2023) for at least one development project and one production project, or for 2 production projects.
Furthermore, applicants who have received SDEs in previous years are ineligible for funding under this program in 2023-2024.
The SDE allocated by the CMF to selected applicants will be $100,000 for Drama projects, and $75,000 for Children’s and Youth and Documentary projects. Applicants may develop up to three projects using their allocation.
Funding applications from eligible production companies will be evaluated through a selective process and according to the applicant company and production team (60 per cent) and its business plan and slate strategy (40 per cent).
About the Canada Media Fund
The Canada Media Fund (CMF) fosters, develops, finances, and promotes the production of Canadian content and applications for all audiovisual media platforms. The CMF guides Canadian content towards a competitive global environment by fostering industry innovation, rewarding success, enabling a diversity of voice, and promoting access to content through public and private sector partnerships. The CMF receives financial contributions from the Government of Canada and Canada’s cable, satellite, and IPTV distributors. Visit our website for more information.
Deputy Director – Portfolio Management
Canada Media Fund Program Administrator
Canada Media Fund Program administrator
Senior Manager, Communications