CMF funding triggers $1.7B in industry activity, increases opportunities for inclusive projects: 2022-2023 annual report
Toronto, September 20, 2023 – The Canada Media Fund (CMF) today released our annual report Future Focused, which shows that our investments in Canada’s screen-based industries unlocked $1.7B in industry activity during the 2022-2023 fiscal year while continuing to advance opportunities for creators and stories from Indigenous and equity-seeking communities.
Key takeaways from our 2022-2023 annual report
- CMF programs delivered a total of $360.3M in funding for the prototyping, development, production, promotion, and export of 1,334 television and interactive digital media projects
- Every CMF dollar invested generated $4.85 in production activity from coast to coast to coast
- We invested over $63M in projects led by creators from Indigenous and equity-seeking communities—$3.7M more than the year before
- We allocated $3.4M in Sector Development Support funding to 35 projects to bolster the growth of Canada’s audiovisual industry
- We distributed close to $48M in funding to digital media projects
“Our annual report demonstrates our unwavering commitment to advancing Canada’s screen-based industry and to supporting diverse and innovative projects that reflect our culture and identities,” said Valerie Creighton, President & CEO, CMF. “With ‘Future Focused’ as its overall theme, our annual report showcases how the CMF adapted to challenges and seized opportunities during a year of disruption and uncertainty, while upholding our goals of excellence and inclusion. We are excited to continue working with our stakeholders and collaborators to shape the future of Canadian storytelling.”
The CMF thanks our funding contributors—the Government of Canada, and Canada’s cable, satellite, and IPTV distributors—for their continued commitment to Canada’s screen-based industries.
About the Canada Media Fund
The Canada Media Fund (CMF) fosters, develops, finances, and promotes the production of Canadian content and applications for all audiovisual media platforms. The CMF guides Canadian content towards a competitive global environment by fostering industry innovation, rewarding success, enabling a diversity of voice, and promoting access to content through public and private sector partnerships. The CMF receives financial contributions from the Government of Canada and Canada’s cable, satellite, and IPTV distributors. Visit our website for more information.
Senior Manager, Communications